Ramblings. It's because I like to write.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Don't Have a Fish Anymore

Yesterday was a pretty sad day.

As some of you might know, Fred and George had been experiencing some weird, undiagnosable health-problems. He seemed to have trouble breathing. When it happened, I would put him in a tiny bowl with clean water and he would feel better again. Things seemed to be going okay after that.

Yesterday before my trumpet lesson I went to my room to check on him. I had just moved him back into his big bowl the night before. He was swimming around happily, and I considered feeding him, but I decided to wait until after 3:00, like he's used to.

I had a good trumpet lesson and then took a walk around campus since it was such a pretty day. When I got home I sat down at my computer to check my email. When I looked at Fred and George to see if he was hungry...he just...didn't look very hungry. Because he wasn't really alive anymore.

How can that happen so suddenly?

I wanted to bury him outside like my parents used to do with my goldfish, but our RA told us to put him in a little baggie and throw him in the trash room. Whatever. Since his burial was so unceremonious, I decided to create a tribute video to honor his memory.




Note: I think I got the date wrong for his birth. Granted, I don't know exactly how old he was because I adopted him from a friend who received him as a gift. But I'm pretty sure he was born in 2010, not 2009. Whatever.

Today we honor a fallen warrior. He was a very good friend to me, and I'll miss him very much. I know it's weird to get this upset over a fish, but he was like a little ray of sunshine when other things were going wrong. He made me feel like a responsible pet owner, like an adult.

Maybe I'll get another fishie someday. But it'll be awhile. You can't just replace someone like Fred and George.

No comments: